We are happy to share the news from HKU HeForSheForUs Student Society that their first event of this semester is coming soon next Tuesday! Let’s pencil in the dates for HKU Us’s events!
Passionate about gender equality and diversity? Want to organise events that advocate for gender equality and other gender-related issues? Feeling lonely and want to meet new friends? It’s time to meet like-minded individuals, have some fun and motivate change with HKU Us! You are all cordially invited to join us at our Tea Gathering!
HKU HeforSheForUs Student Society (HKU Us) is organising a tea gathering after reading week to introduce our organisation, our upcoming events this semester and to recruit for new members (executive committee members, sub-committee members and on-day volunteers). In April 2015, HKU became the first university globally to launch the UN campaign HeForShe on campus. HeForShe is a global solidarity campaign for the advancement of gender equality, initiated by the United Nations. Ever since Elizabeth Nyamayaro (Executive Director of UN Women and Head of the HeForShe Initiative) came to HKU to lead the HKU 2016 Idea-thon in August 2016, HKU HeforSheForUs Student Society has been the only student-led initiative that raises awareness for and initiates advocacy work for gender equality and other gender-related issues on campus.
Come meet HKU Us, and learn how we plan to (U)nderstand (s)exism, (U)nify (s)exes and (U)ntie re(s)traints!
Details of the Tea Gathering
• Date: 12th March (Tuesday)
• Time: 18:30-20:00 (Registration starts at 18:15)
• Venue: Common Core Lounge, MB150
• Pizza, new friends and fun time guaranteed!
• Fee: $20HKD, contributing to the HKU Us Fund
Register to reserve a place! RSVP is required. Please sign up at http://tinyurl.com/hkuusteagathering1 or scan the QR code on the poster!
What is HeForShe?
“HeForShe starts with the belief that all of us are equal…and should be free from undue expectations, stereotypes or limitations because of our race, nationality, sexuality, or gender.” – Elizabeth Nyamayar, August 2016.
“The overall goal of HeForShe is to spread awareness and spark action on the responsibility that men and boys have in eliminating all forms of discrimination against women and violence against women and girls. This is not about women or men, it is about crafting a shared vision of human progress for all – about creating a solidarity movement between women and men for the achievement of gender equality.” – HKU newsletter
Learn more about the initiative and HKU Us by reading about us in the following websites:
· HeForShe: https://www.heforshe.org/en
· United Nation’s HeForShe head Elizabeth Nyamayaro brings the fight for gender equality to Hong Kong: https://yp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/104322/united-nations-heforshe-head-elizabeth-nyamayaro-brings-fight-gender
· HKU hosts HeForShe x #MeToo workshop to raise awareness about sexual harassment in Hong Kong: https://yp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/108689/hku-hosts-heforshe-x-metoo-workshop-raise-awareness-about-sexual
· HKU as the first world university launches HeForShe on campus: a UN initiative on gender balance: https://www.hku.hk/press/news_detail_12579.html
· UN Women’s HeForShe Head meets Hong Kong in August at HKU:https://www.hku.hk/press/news_detail_15044.html